Tuesday 14 June 2011

Song of the Day

I have a confession to make: I am a closet fan of cheesy pop music and have been ever since I can remember. Sure, I may have a record collection that would make the late, very great John Peel descend from rock 'n' roll heaven just so his ghost could give me a pat on the back in awe of its sheer awesomeness and, yes, I cite alt-rock legends such as the Smashing Pumpkins and The Pixies amongst my favourite bands, but there is also another side of me that is a Gaga-loving popette who could recite the lyrics to Kylie Minogue's greatest hits as if they were Shakespearean monologues. So when a friend of mine from college (who shall not be named, but you know who you are...) posted a link to Girls Aloud alumna Nicola Roberts' debut solo effort Beat Of My Drum I felt a sudden and compelling urge, albeit out of sheer curiosity, to check it out for myself. Sure, there are the obvious "she'll never be like Cheryl!", etc., but isn't pop music meant to let you leave your brain at the door and, you know, dance and stuff?

No comments:

Post a Comment